Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Riding in the cold

Last month I wrote a post about riding my bike home from work in the dark. My current adventure is commuting on my bike in cold weather. We are having a cold spell this week. My car reported 18 degrees this evening--I'm sure the lowest it has ever registered (in the 2+ years I have owned it).

I was up for the challenge and decided to ride every day this week (no snow in the forecast). Yesterday there was a cold east wind, which provided a fun tailwind on the ride to work, so it went just fine. But I knew the ride home would be a bit grim. It was in the 20's, and who knows what the wind chill factor was. My face froze pretty quickly. My hands took a while, through two layers of gloves, but they got pretty cold. And my toes. With the headwind my ride was about 40 minutes. But I made it!

Today may have been a bit colder, but not so much wind. Tomorrow should be colder still. What fun!

I know--those of you who live in colder climes are thinking I'm a wuss!

2 comments:

  1. It was calm, sunny, and a balmy 12 degrees on my ride in this morning. It was a shock to my system breathing in that cold air! My head froze, but everything else did okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that you are a wuss, but I will say that we woke up to negative 14 degrees yesterday! I had to walk to class in it. BRRRRRR

    ReplyDelete