Thursday, November 3, 2011

Bicycle mayhem

Last year I wrote a post about a bicycle crash I experienced, and noted it was my only real accident in over two decades of serious cycling. I had thought I should be good for another couple of decades of accident free riding. But it wasn't to be.

On April 2 of this year I was 3rd in a paceline of four cyclists on a lonely country road in wet conditions. The lead cyclist slowed unexpectedly, we got bunched up, and the fourth rider crashed into me. I have no memory of the impact, nor of the few minutes immediately following. But I clearly went down quite hard.

While unconscious I felt like I was dreaming and still riding my bike on similar roads. I awoke on my back with a lady leaning over me, reassuring me she was a doctor and an ambulance was on the way. I had a neck injury and wasn't to move. I felt oddly calm and at peace, and a little out of it. My hands hurt quite a bit and there was blood seeping through my gloves. I was relieved to see I could move and feel my hands and legs.

The ambulance personnel lifted me carefully into the vehicle and started asking me questions, which I thought I answered fine, except I thought it odd that I wasn't sure what year it was. I was lucid enough to recognize they weren't taking me to the nearest hospital, but to the trauma unit at Emanuel Hospital in Portland.

Once there I continued to feel calm and reassured that I was in the hands of professionals. They cut my clothes off, being careful of my back and neck. I was relieved they asked about and followed through with saving my nice jacket from cutting.

Suzanne, Blair, and home teachers arrived soon and provided company and a blessing. My hands and full bladder (from IVs, I'm sure) were my primary discomforts, while my neck grew increasingly stiff. Eventually I was wheeled to xray and scanning machines to assess my injuries, and checked into a regular room.

Later that day they tried to set my broken 5th metacarpal in my hand, no luck. They stitched up a deep gash in my other hand. Preliminary news on my neck was that C7 was broken, but manageable. I think it was the next day before I was reassured it wouldn't require surgery and was in a relatively benign location. Surgery for my hand was scheduled for early the day after, so I ended up spending two nights in the hospital. The stiff neck was horrendous and it was a chore to rise often to urinate due to the extensive IV solutions.

Here is the helmet that most assuredly saved me from more serious injury.



I believe this was after my hand surgery.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you finally posted about this. The girls still like to watch the video of you having the pins removed (I hope I didn't just spoil a future post).

    ReplyDelete