Monday, November 7, 2011

Whole Wheat Pancakes

I have memories from about 8 years of age of helping to cook pancakes. This was a skill I obtained early and used often throughout my life.

In our family we have wheat storage and a wheat grinder. We have tried to use our whole wheat through the years, predominantly with homemade wheat bread and pancakes. Cooking the pancakes has been my specialty through the years.

Here is the very recipe card I have used these past 25 years. Suzanne got it as part of a visiting teacher message.



Perhaps 30 years ago we got this bottle of imitation maple flavoring. I have made countless batches of maple syrup using it, boiling several cups of water and adding sugar and flavoring. This bottle is finally close to being empty. I confess, though, that we have graduated to using real maple syrup, now that the kids are gone. (Don't tell the kids that many times I had to scrape the mold off the top of the homemade syrup container before we used it.)



For a number of years it was a regular routine in our family for me to make pancakes every Saturday or Sunday. I don't think the kids were all that keen on the whole wheat pancakes, often campaigning to add some white flour into the mix. To make them more palatable I would sometimes make shapes out of the pancakes, or announce I had perfect ones just off the griddle.


Lookin' good!


We add fresh or frozen fruit that we have picked, usually strawberries or peaches. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment