Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Riding in the dark







I have been a bicycling enthusiast for many years, going back to when I was a child. I got really serious about 20 years ago, doing centuries and week long tours. I was in the best shape of my life. For a number of years there I also ran for conditioning, but a few years ago I grew weary of all the aches, pains, and nagging injuries that running seemed to provoke. So I decided to step up my cycling again (to replace running), and included a regimen of commuting to work.



After joining Intel almost five years ago my commute distance increased to eight miles each way. Though long, the route was very conducive to cycling (I love Portland, reputedly the most bicycling friendly city in the USA!) so I set a goal to commute by bike at least 50% of the time. I exceeded that goal through the summer and fall, but with darkness setting in for November commutes home I balked. I had never ridden at night, but did some research and bought lights, fenders, and reflective clothing, and just kept on commuting. It was a big success! And I love how it makes me feel.



Well, with the loss of DST, this week is the start of my night riding season. I put fresh batteries in my lights, dusted off my reflective vest, bought some reflective decals at the bike shop, and cleaned my clear lensed eyewear. I often feel I am more visible to cars with my flashing lights than I am in daylight. Yesterday was such an enjoyable night ride home. No wind, pleasant low 50’s temperature. There is something magical about riding at night. For one thing you feel like you are going so fast! (I noticed the same sensation running at night vs. day.)



I included a picture of my commute bike with lights on and fenders.

4 comments:

  1. Just be careful out there. What I worry most about is cars driving up behind you crossing into the bike lane. And always look both ways when proceeding through a green light . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Nice bike! I don't recognize the headbadge though. I have a Surly and an '88 Schwinn that I stripped down into a single speed. The Surly is fixed and the longest I've gone on it at one time is 46 miles.
    I am looking for a century/day tripper bike and am having a great time looking at different builds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a nice bike, especially for commuting. I got it at bikesdirect.com for a great price last year. It is a Motobecane, which used to be an elite French brand, but in recent years a Taiwan company bought the name. It is a CF frame with full Shimano Ultegra group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NERD ALERT, Craig and Chris. Get a room, sheesh.

    I agree that you are probably more visible at night than during the daytime.

    ReplyDelete